Thursday, February 9, 2012

Carob Bites {recipe}

I wouldn't classify myself as a health nut.  I do like and try to make healthy choices, but I also have a fantastic sweet tooth and am a carb-aholic. Growing up my mom (hi mom!) made a LOT of healthy foods, snacks, etc.  I was allergic to wheat and dairy so she HAD to make different things for me.  This was one of them (that I loved and still do).  
They were originally titled "Nutritional Snacks" - ummmm doesn't that sound tasty [insert sarcasm]?  So I renamed them "Carob Balls".***  Still not a great name, but my kids (actually we all) LOVE THEM.  They act like they are getting cookies when I make them.  They are healthy and super easy to make.

Carob Bites 
from my mom, Rachel McNutt

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup carob powder
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Stir all ingredients together.
2.  Shape into 1-inch balls.
3.  Chill in the refrigerator.

Easy right?  Here are some notes:
~Do not use quick oats.  Rolled oats have a better texture.
~I usually use creamy peanut butter but crunchy would be good too.  You do not have to use natural peanut butter.  Do not use reduced fat peanut butter.  You need the oils in it help keep them together and not fall apart.
~Carob powder is found in the natural/health section of your market.  (I got mine at Mother's.)  It is the healthier version of cocoa.
~The recipe just calls for oil.  I use canola.
~Lastly, I use a cookie scoop to measure out the balls and then roll/form them in my hands.  Place them on a cookie sheet and chill in the fridge (or just eat right away!).
Give them a try.  You might like 'em!

***UPDATED***  My sister is genius I tell you.  She called and asked for this recipe and called them "Carob Bites"...MUCH better than Carob "Balls" so I am officially changing the name!

Linking up at:
While I'm Waiting
five days five ways | feature friday free for all 


5 comments:

  1. These look delish! Thanks for sharing at Waiting on Wednesday. Also, you have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us at Waiting on...Wednesday!

    Holly @ www.iwillservewhileiwait.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!